Monday 17 June 2013

Preserved leather

I have no idea how old the preserved leather is in the images below, they were all found in Stainton and Maltby becks.


I 1 I have found similar hand made preserved leather in all of the deep beck locations in the south west area of Cleveland North East England.

  2
  3
  4
  5 The piece at the top has copper nails attached.
  6
  7
  8
  9 The studs are made of iron - steel
  10 This piece has what looks to be a set of gates marked out with some sort of needle.
  11 closer view
  12
  13
  14 The holes to the top edge look like lace holes of some kind.
  15
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks interesting does that belt as this may indeed date 1930s as I have found such items in old ash tips along with bits of hob nailed boots, was there a tip near it with broken glass and ceramics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike I deleted the other post, as they were both the same mate, as for the leather belt, I ain't got a clue mate but ive never came across any old tips in the area of the find its very remote and always has been as far as I know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's interesting that it is remote unless it has washed down from somewhere else. It looks well preserved though as the leather bits I find have degraded over time. That said its amazing what materials survive being buried but the soil type also plays a key part in to an objects survival.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to correct me on any part of my blog, i would also welcome any help that can be offered in correctly identifying some of my fossil finds All the best to all Heath.