Saturday 15 June 2013

Equus skeleton discovered and yet again it attracts a magnet.

 1

I discovered this half buried mineralised carcass today on the banks of the old river Tees in Middlesbrough Cleveland North East England. But only had a poor phone camera so the images aren't great, the animal seems to have died were it is now, I aim to excavate it tomorrow, and will report my findings. 



 2

 3

 4

I am now in the process of cleaning and preserving the skull and mandible.

The pics below show the piece after a basic clean, this Equus piece shows no signs of use by man either for transport or work.

 5


 6


 7

I have tested for magnetic content and again have found this skull and mandible like a lot of other mineralised bones excavated in the south west of Cleveland attract a magnet, as ive stated before I believe this is because the animals absorbed some form of Magnetite, either when alive or during burial.

 8
Note the round magnet attached to the bone outlined in red.

 9

10

 11

 12

  13









No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to correct me on any part of my blog, i would also welcome any help that can be offered in correctly identifying some of my fossil finds All the best to all Heath.