Wednesday 16 October 2013

Wild boar skull excavated from prehistoric deposits at Stainsby.

  I excavated this piece along side Bos & Cervid bones I first thought it just to be a domestic pig skull, I now know it to be from a wild boar. This piece as with all other finds on this blog was reported to http://www.teesarchaeology.com/  with no response !  I can find no other record of wild boar fossils being excavated in the south west of Cleveland.


 1 - The Excavation

 2 - Finds

 3 - Note how long the snout is and the low profile of the cranium.

 4 The link below shows other sub fossils from the same deposits. 
 http://historyofabeck.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/stainsby-ancient-lake-bed-excavated.html  

2 comments:

  1. Hello there I am so glad I found your blog, I really
    found you by mistake, while I was searching on Google for something else, Nonetheless I am here now and would just like
    to say many thanks for a remarkable post and a all round interesting blog (I
    also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to look over it all at the minute but I have bookmarked it and also added in your RSS
    feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read much more, Please do keep up the great jo.


    my homepage get your book printed

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the coment and interest

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to correct me on any part of my blog, i would also welcome any help that can be offered in correctly identifying some of my fossil finds All the best to all Heath.