Saturday 14 May 2011

Ancient use of stone from the Cleveland dyke at Stainsby beck

I made an earlier post showing the Cleveland dyke at Stainsby beck in the south west Cleveland area, i now after further visits and research believe the stone was taken from this outcrop and used at least in the nearby area.
Ive found large amounts of the stone that seem to have been used as dams of some sort in at least four different locations, all upstream from the dyke exposure, I've found no historical reference to the dyke being utilized at this exposure point at Stainsby, so can only imagine it was a very long time ago.
I will be researching this area a lot more in the future as i believe it has a hidden and yet unknown history.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to correct me on any part of my blog, i would also welcome any help that can be offered in correctly identifying some of my fossil finds All the best to all Heath.