Saturday, 20 April 2013

Ancient pottery new piece Stainsby beck.

 1 - The red coated piece to the top was found by myself about 2 years ago at Stainsby beck, It has been at the bottom of a dirty plant pot since then, but after a little spring clean today, I noticed it seemed to be made of similar  clay as the pottery pieces, I have recently excavated from the Prehistoric lake deposits at Stainsby beck.

 2  

 3
 
 4

 5

 6 - Note the rare earth magnet attached to both pieces.

 7
 

The new piece shown above with the red coat has the same high magnetic content as the excavated material, I believe this could be diagnostic in tracing the area the clay was taken from to make the pottery.
 
I have been informed by Peter Row of Tees Archaeology that the twisted piece, is not Prehistoric  like the other pieces, but Medieval 14 -15th Century, but the clay could well have come from the same local deposits. 
 
 
 8 - This map shows the area the people who made these objects were from, it must be said that it is only a rough guide, and it is becoming widely believed that the Brigantes were a fragmented people, although they must have been a powerful presence, as they seemed to have had little problems in keeping the tribes to the north at bay !  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to correct me on any part of my blog, i would also welcome any help that can be offered in correctly identifying some of my fossil finds All the best to all Heath.